Back to top

Encompass® Insurance Insights & Articles



Preventing Carbon Monoxide in Your Home

When it comes to safety in your home, few things are more important than preventing carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Unfortunately, since it's an odorless and colorless gas, it's not something you can detect yourself. Especially in the winter, when we keep our windows and doors shut, the risk of carbon monoxide building up in your home in the event of a leak can be high. The following tips can help safeguard you and your family.

A finger pushing the button on a CO2 home detector.

  • Install carbon monoxide detectors. Depending on the size of your home, you should have at least one detector on every floor; plus, you should install one close to the bedrooms. Test — and, if necessary, replace — the batteries every month or as recommended by the manufacturer. According to ConsumerSearch, the best carbon monoxide detectors meet Underwriters Laboratory standard UL2034. In addition, they're loud, provide a testing functionality and are interconnected. Some provide a voice alert, which can be helpful to clarify the hazard if you have a smoke and CO detector in one. Note that the sensors on a CO detector usually have a life span of five years, although some may last longer. Most higher-end models will alert you when they need to be replaced.
  • Have your fuel-burning appliances serviced each year. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) advises that if you have a water heater, heating system, stove, generator or other appliance that burns fuel, you should have it serviced annually by a qualified technician. He or she can detect any issues and make the necessary repairs.
  • Ensure proper ventilation for your gas appliances. The vent pipes should rise slightly, as this will prevent carbon monoxide from escaping through unsealed joints. In addition, keep vents clear of debris, snow and ice, so the gas can escape.
  • Have your chimney swept and serviced each year. A blocked flue will cause CO to back up into your home, and any cracks in the pipe will result in leaks. Have a qualified chimney sweep — preferably one certified by the Chimney Safety Institute of America — perform the necessary maintenance.
  • Be mindful when using a gas kitchen range. Using a gas range can elevate CO levels in your kitchen, so always make sure to use the range hood. In addition, double-check that all the burners, as well as the oven, are off when you've finished cooking.
  • Don't use lanterns indoors. Though they can give your home a seasonal look during the winter, lanterns release CO. That's why you should never use them indoors — even during a power outage.
  • Never use a generator inside your home. If you have a portable generator, never run it inside your home, as this will lead to the buildup of CO. If you have a standby generator, make sure it's installed outside in a spot well away from any windows and doors. This will prevent CO from venting into the home.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is a very real hazard. But by taking these precautions, keeping your appliances in good condition and installing the right carbon monoxide detectors, you're helping to keep you and your family safe.


A group of Encompass agents

Customer Centric. Agent Focused.

Our simple, tailored approach to coverage offers powerful benefits to you and your clients.

Become an Agent

The general information contained in The Encompass Blog is provided as a courtesy, and is for informational and entertainment purposes only. The contents of this website are subject to periodic change without notice. Information provided on The Encompass Blog is not intended to replace official sources. Although attempts will be made to ensure that the information is accurate and timely, the information is presented "as is" and without warranties. Information contained on The Encompass Blog should not be mistaken for professional advice. Information contained herein should not be considered error-free and should not be used as the exclusive basis for decision-making. Use of website information is strictly voluntary and at the user's sole risk. We encourage you to obtain personal advice from qualified professionals when making decision regarding your specific situation.

Other resources linked from these pages are maintained by independent providers. The Encompass Blog does not monitor all linked resources and cannot guarantee their accuracy. Statements, views and opinions included in an independent provider's material are strictly those of the author(s). These views may not necessarily represent the opinions or policies of The Encompass Blog, the Encompass family of companies or its agents, officers or employees.

ECC Monitor: OK