Just like you, your home needs regular "check-ups" to keep everything in optimal shape. From the roof to the basement, the HVAC to the hot water heater, regular maintenance is essential to a healthy, safe home.
But keeping up with all the maintenance and repair tasks can feel a bit overwhelming at times. That's why we've put together a handy checklist of upkeep tasks, organized by season.
Once the weather warms up in the Spring, it's time to complete a thorough inspection and make any necessary repairs.
- Inspect roof for broken shingles or leaks
- Clean debris out of rain gutters
- Ensure that flashing is sealed properly
- Reattach loose siding and trim
- Check caulking around windows and doors
- Power wash windows and screens
- Have your septic tank pumped
- Seal holes around your foundation with foam
- Fertilize your yard
- Dust or wash light fixtures
- Replace batteries in carbon monoxide and smoke detectors
- Check caulking around sinks, showers and tubs
- Vacuum dryer lint trap and refrigerator coils
- Change direction of ceiling fans so they pull cool air up
You'll enjoy the lazy days of summer more if you get your home maintenance duties out of the way! Start the warm season off with the following tasks.
- Paint or power wash exterior walls
- Check hoses for leaks
- Recoat or seal your roof and flashing
- Patch cracks in driveway and sidewalks
- Refinish the wood on your porch or deck
- Clean ceiling fans
- Have your AC unit tuned up
- Clean and organize the garage; summer's a great time to have a garage sale!
The leaves will be falling off the trees before you know it! Get ahead of the game with these chores.
- Aerate your lawn
- Drain exterior plumbing
- Inspect exterior door hardware
- Check for gaps around windows and doors and caulk or weather strip
- Check and clean dryer vents and other exhaust vents
- Have your fireplace and chimney inspected/cleaned
- Remove or cover window AC units
- Have your furnace or boiler inspected
- Flush hot water heater to remove build-up or sediment and test the pressure release valve
Before you settle in for cozy nights by a crackling fire, be sure to take care of the fireplace! Prepare for the chilly days of winter by completing these home tasks.
- Put patio furniture in storage
- Deep clean and cover your BBQ grill
- Turn off water to exterior pipes
- Regularly check exterior of home for ice blockage
- Deep clean carpets
- Check/regrout tile as needed
- Change direction of ceiling fans so they push warm air down
- Repair any damage to walls
- Check locks on all doors and windows
- Clean and organize storage
A few home maintenance tasks are so important that you should tackle them once a month.
- Replace/change your furnace filter to keep your inside air quality high and reduce energy consumption
- Check salt levels in your water softener and add more if necessary
- Unclog your tub and shower drains
- Remove mineral deposits from sink faucets and shower heads to increase flow
- Soak your range hood filter in degreaser
- Inspect fire extinguishers
With regular attention, your home's exterior, interior, appliances and systems should keep running smoothly, helping to save you money and increasing your peace of mind!